Conditions: Absolutely perfect!
Groups were divided into two teams of five (White Team and Pink Team).
White Team: Dreamliner, Cash Flow, Money Ball, Dirt Bike, and Musket.
Pink Team: Planer, Marvel, Double Fault, Gator, Market.
Each team assigned runners as 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, and 3A/B.
Each PAX grabbed a cone and index card with their number/letter combo (e.g., 2A) and ran to the destination on the card. PAX member left cone and index card at destination and returned to the flag.
The two 1s (1A and 1B) then verbally told the other where their cone was located and began running to pick up the other’s cone. Similarly, the 2s swapped destinations. The single 3 for each team ran to each destination without the handoff.
First team back with all 6 cones won the relay.
White Team won by a narrow margin.
Destinations were as follows:
- 1A: Boat ramp
- 1B: End of Stepplechase
- 2A: Space Monkey’s old house
- 2B: End of Finish Line Arch Rd.
- 3A: Steps of main clubhouse
- 3B: Arches of the library
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (ESV)
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
- We all ran faster today than we normally would since we were running a race against the other team as compared to a “standard” training run.
- Live your life as if you are running a race and not going out on a training run.
- The team colors (white vs. pink) were based on index card availability in my house. YHC got a few sideways looks when he announced the team colors.
- YHC really needs to work on better ways to clearly communicate his run Qs.
- Marvel claimed to have “made his move” too early. YHC was definitely getting worried hearing the footsteps from behind. YHC had to give it all he had to hold Marvel off coming down the stretch.
- Albeit a little confusing (YHC takes most of the credit for less than optimal explanation), the format worked and provided an extra level of team competition.
- Excellent directions were given by Money Ball who had run to Space Monkey’s old house. The following runner, Dirt Bike, did not get lost even though he did not have the benefit of the written directions on the index card.
- The distances for the 1s, 2s, and 3s need to be brought much closer together. 2s and 3s were back well before the 1s. This is somewhat difficult as the race is determined by landmarks, but still is an area for improvement.