AO: Lazy Susan
Number of Pax: 5
Pax Names: Appomattox, Katniss, Marvel, Moneyball, Wicked,
Number of FNGS: 0
Like an unexpected helicopter landing: colder and blusterier than anticipated.
Group mosey to the CNU parking garage.
Virginia Run’Em Poker: Shuffled deck of cards is placed at the top of the parking garage. Each PAX runs up the ramps and picks up a card until all PAX have 5. Then assemble best possible poker hand and compare for a winner. Winner picks what the PAX do next.
1st Round Winner: Wicked, with a straight A to 4. Choices were more of the same or something different. He chose more of the same.
Rinsed/repeated same principle with two modifications: moved the deck to the top of the first ramp, and PAX kept running for time, not until someone got 5 cards.
2nd Round Winner: Appomattox, with three of a kind. He chose an Indian Run back to the flags.
Both winners led the PAX in one minute each of their choice of stretch(es).
Proverbs 31:10, 28, 31:An excellent wife who can find?She is far more precious than jewels.Her children rise up and call her blessed;her husband also, and he praises her.Give her of the fruit of her hands,and let her works praise her in the gates.
- YHC was thinking about Mother’s Day and how it is (rightly) a big deal to celebrate mothers/wives, but how the appreciation should also be high and spread out year-round, which reminded him of the above verses.
- It is noteworthy that the wisdom is not to give false praise, but to give her what she is owed (“the fruit of her hands“) and to give her credit where it is due (“let her works praise her“).
- YHC challenged the PAX to celebrate their wives wherever is important to them (as the city gates were a place of importance/power in Proverbs)–be it work, F3, with friends, etc.–to make those places the places where you applaud your wife, that those whose opinion you care about most, know your opinion of your wife is high.
- YHC gave the PAX the option of a game vs. a more straightforward run. Moneyball said (exact quote), “I always prefer a game.”
- YHC lost both hands with two pair and three pair, respectively. We need a rules clarification (or at least a spirited debate): should three pair beat three of a kind in poker?
- Side note: because the PAX picked up a card each time they arrived at the location, it was possible and likely that most PAX had more than 5 cards.
- Moneyball, in spite of running harder and therefore having more cards than all other PAX, had (exact quote), “Probably the worst hand statistically possible for the number of cards I have.” More impressive: it happened twice.
- Some mumble chatter during COT about what areas of wifely performance could and should be celebrate in public.
- May Quad P – Weekly Murphs, in preparation for Memorial Day. See the Challenges page for the link and more info.
- 2ndF-3rdF Event – THIS FRIDAY, May 13, 8:30AM at Gas Station’s YMCA location in Newport News.
- Disc Golf – May 20 or 27, depending on interest. Let Marvel know if you can make either.
- Memorial Day Murph – Monday, May 30, 0700-0800 (or when all PAX are done) @ Western Branch HIGH School (Blackwater AO’s location). See here for what the Murph entails.
- Bible Study Zoom Call – Every Friday, Noon. See e-mail/Facebook for link.
- Grow Ruck Training Experience (GTE) 32 – “Neptune’s Adventure.” October 7-9, 2022 in Virginia Beach. Register now! Register here!