5 PAX attended Q school on the west side. Same curriculum taught on the east side at #SlothHill.
A. I am not a professional.
B. You are participating at your own risk
C. You are responsible for your own well-being
D. You are here voluntarily, and you are not paying to be here
E. Know your limits and do the best you can
Side Straddle Hops (SSH) x25 In Cadence (IC)
Shoulder Circles x20 IC
Merkins x15 IC
Mountain Climbers x20 IC
Discussed calling two minute and one minute warnings before workout, mumble chatter, how to call an exercise, and how to count.
1. “The Next Exercise is _______”
2. “Starting Position … Move”
3. “In Cadence [or On My Count (OMC), or On Your Own (OYO)] … Exercise”
Q: 1,2,3 PAX: 1
Q: Last rep has higher inflection. PAX: “Halt”
Mosey to the benches under the overhang. For each set, a hold exercise (e.g., plank) was performed while truth nugget was dropped on the PAX, followed by an exercise, followed by a run to the path by the lake and back up. 6 rounds.
1. Plank, Merkins
2. Al Gore, Squats
3. 6 inches, Big boy situps
4. Plank, Alternating shoulder taps
5. Al Gore, Lunges
6. 6 inches, American hammers
1. It’s not about YOU.
2. Actually PLAN your Workout
3. If you can’t DO IT, you can’t Q IT (We do not “clipboard” in F3. You, as the Q, will need to be able and willing to do anything you call for the pax to do. That doesn’t mean you have to be “first,” but if you cannot do 20 Merkins, with proper form, in cadence, then you cannot call it and ask the PAX to do it.)
4. Better to have too MUCH than not ENOUGH
5. Always wear a WATCH (We start and end on-time. End time is the end of the workout and not the end of COT. Cutting workout short if several FNGs is okay but should not be the norm.)
6. NEVER Leave a Man Behind (This is one of the bedrock principles of F3. We start together and finish together. If large number of PAX, assign a “sweeper” to this duty.)
Coupon Olympics: PAX practiced “How to call an exercise” and “How to Count.”
Partner Sets :
100 Curls (P1 does 10 while P2 holds rock above head; 100 total for group)
100 Merkins (P1 does 10 while P2 holds plank; 100 total for group)
100 Big boy situps (P1 does 10 while P2 holds 6 inches 100 total for group)
Focus here is on Mumble Chatter, Morale, and Camaraderie. PAX were instructed to learn something about their partner that they did not already know.
Praise individually and critique as a group.
Discussed Paying Attention to the PAX
1. Engage the PAX
2. LOOK at the Pax
3. Demonstrate when needed
4. Don’t be afraid to alter your workout if it isn’t working for the PAX
With the remaining time, 5 core principles.
1. Are free of charge, 1 burpee
2. Are open to ALL men, 2 burpees
3. Are held outdoors, rain or shine, heat or cold, 3 burpees
4. Are led by men who participate in the workout in a rotating fashion, with no training or certification necessary, 4 burpees
5. End with a circle of trust, 5 burpees
Memory of the PAX was tested (it’s called Q SCHOOL for a reason) as they had to repeat back the 5 core principles. After each answer, decreasing number of burpees (5 to 1). Whoever correctly answered the principle was allowed to skip the burpees and perform AMRAP curls instead.
Mary: Banana/Boat switching when PAX said something they learned during Q school. First round was something they learned about another PAX. Second round was something they learned about Q’ing.
Circle of Trust (COT):
Count-o-rama and namerama
James 3:1 (ESV) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.
Teachers must hold themselves to a higher standard.
The Q is not simply the leader of the workout. The Q is responsible for the outcome.
Goal: 10 post “rule.” Q before your 10th post. Q every 10 posts.
Ball of Man (BOM)
Run/Ruck/Bible Study Evening AO to begin in Jan. 24. It will start/end at YHC’s house (362 Bob White Pkwy, Suffolk, VA) and utilize the Suffolk Seaboard Coastline Trail. Every Thursday. Run/Ruck 6:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. Bible study 7:15 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Launch of Monday morning AO on the Peninsula to begin in Spring 2019. If you live on the peninsula and are interested, please reach out to YHC or Marvel (the AOQ) and let us know where you live. We are trying to decide on the best location to be as close to as many PAX as possible.
F3 GrowRuck (F3nation.com/GrowRuck):
Lend a Ruck program available for those without packs.
Location: Richmond, VA
March 22, Friday night 2ndF Event (Optional)
March 23, Saturday AM workout + GrowSchool taught by Dredd (one of the two founders of F3)
March 23, Saturday PM GORUCK Tough (12-14 hours)
March 24, Sunday AM breakfast
F3 Important Links:
Q Schedule: Just sign up. We can help you prepare. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Utp_HFAXLbCkhlUYR2F5oOdlp-HTjwlbLmYErn6g3Zc/edit?usp=sharing
QuadP (Monthly Challenge). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-R0I0BO-L6Xrl4m1i8kqlbzloGbPdvRmkLwbwyASunU/edit?usp=sharing
F3 App (Google play or Apple App Store): This is the one-stop shop for all things F3 Hampton Roads. Download it. Get connected. (Note: Separate account from f3rva.org but the username and password can be the same